Friday, January 31, 2014

Keep Your Eye On The Prize

I'm easily distracted and even more easily addicted. No reason to tap dance around it. I'm one of those people that just has an addictive personality. That can be a wonderful thing when I'm in the Word and focused on God's direction for me but on the flip side it can be disastrous when I even start to lose focus.
I know I'm not alone in that.
In this day and age we have so many things going on around us at any given time it's a wonder some of us can even get our shoes on the right feet without being distracted. With that being said, we can often float through hours, days, weeks and then months without realizing how out of focus God has become in our lives.
Colossians 3:2 says to set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. If you're anything like me and a big chunk of the rest of us, you read that and felt a warm-fuzzy, sent a quick "thank ya Jesus!" up and then the dog barked. The phone rang. The sippy cup needs to be refilled. Facebook notification, "ding!", microwave beeping, your name being called from down the hall... you know how it goes.

Basically, what I'm getting at is this question:

Does life look more like this:

or does it look more like this?:




I'm just being straight-up real in admitting that mine looks less like the second image than the first. At least a lot less like it than it should, in my humble opinion ;) I would imagine some of you are agreeing.

I've got to get my focus back in order.

Psalm 119:36-37 reminds me of what I need to be praying right now. That I would turn my eyes to His statutes, not towards selfish gain. That I would turn my eyes away from worthless things.

I'm gonna drown out the noise and focus on those words for a while and I pray you will be able to, also, if you're in the same boat as me right now.



I'm happy to have shared the link to this post on Fellowship Fridays!

4 comments:

  1. We need the reminder to fix our minds on Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Your pictures accurately capture life. Prioritizing is what's important to keep God number 1 in our lives.

    http://gizzlemizzle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete